Hillsdale Shopping CenterEdit profile
Hillsdale Shopping Center is a shopping mall in San Mateo, California, currently anchored by Macy's, Nordstrom and Sears, and featuring over 130 stores and restaurants. The mall is located at the intersection of Hillsdale Boulevard and El Camino Real or CA-82, adjacent to the Hillsdale Caltrain Station and Bay Meadows Racetrack.The property is owned by Bohannon Development Co.History
Originally opened by developer David Bohannon in December 1954 as an open-air center, it featured Sears and the first suburban branch store of Macy's San Francisco, later adding Emporium in 1962. In 1982, faced with San Diego-based developer The Hahn Company's new San Mateo Fashion Island Mall, Hillsdale was enclosed between Macy's and Emporium and added Northern California's first Nordstrom. Fashion Island could not compete, eventually closing and being demolished for the Bridgepointe power center. In 1996 Sears relocated from its original, external location to the former Emporium store.
Hillsdale, along with Bellevue Square, NorthPark Center and South Coast Plaza, remains one the few major shopping centers to remain in private ownership, continuing to be owned by the Bohannon family.Anchors
- Macy's (246,175 sq ft (22,870.4 m2))
- Nordstrom (150,000 sq ft (14,000 m2))
- Sears (206,000 sq ft (19,100 m2))