Hillbrow Tower
The Hillbrow Tower is a tall tower located in the suburb of Hillbrow in Johannesburg, South Africa. It's the tallest structure and tower in Africa Continent. Construction for the tower began in June 1968 and was completed three years later in April 1971. Construction cost Rand 2 million (at the time, US$2.8 million) and produced the 269 m (883 ft) tower that stands today. The tower was initially known as the JG Strijdom Tower after JG Strijdom, the South African Prime Minister from 1954 to 1958. On May 31, 2005 it was renamed the Telkom Joburg Tower. The tower was constructed for what became Telkom, South Africa's largest telecommunications company. As the general height of buildings rose in the central business district, it was necessary that the new telephone tower had to stay above the general height of the tallest building.

Tourist attraction
The Hillbrow Tower has been closed for visitors since 1981 for security reasons. However, before the closure, the tower was one of the largest tourist draws in Johannesburg. At the top of the tower, above 131 metres, there were six public floors. One of them housed a revolving restaurant named Heinrich's Restaurant. There was another, non-rotating restaurant known as the Grill Room. There is another TV tower in Johannesburg, the Sentech Tower. In the 2010 FIFA World Cup, a Football is placed a couple meters (feet) in the Tower. It will stay unitl the end of the FIFA World Cup.

Media

2 photos

Building Activity

  • removed 2 media
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com