Highland Park Presbyterian ChurchEdit profile
The Park United Presbyterian Church is located on at 14 Cortland (at the intersection with Woodward Avenue) in Highland Park, Michigan. It was built in 1910 as the Highland Park Presbyterian Church, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, and designated a Michigan State Historic Site in 1983.History
The Highland Park Presbyterian Church was established in 1893 as a mission church of the First Presbyterian Church of Detroit. Three years later a small chapel was built on the site of the present church. However, the congregation grew to over two hundred members, and the present building was constructed from 1910 to 1911.Architecture
The church is 110 feet long and 85 feet wide, and is constructed in a Tudor Gothic style from red brick with limestone trim and red terra cotta roof tiles. The main section of the church contains an oversized stained-glass window and a square, buttressed, flat-roofed, corner tower with a louvered belfry is located on the south side. A gabled wooden porch covers the entrance. Set back from the main block is the gabled educational wing. A parsonage, built in 1905, sits behind the church on Cortland Street.