High Museum of Art Extension
1999-2005
High Museum of Art Expansion
Atlanta (Georgia), USA

Envisioning a “village for the arts,” the Renzo Piano Building Workshop (RPBW) crafted a master plan for the Woodruff Arts Center campus in 2000. The concept included a residence hall for the Atlanta College of Art, an expanded parking garage, a restaurant, and three Museum buildings—the Susan and John Wieland Pavilion, the Anne Cox Chambers Wing, and an administrative center.

Distinctive architectural features in the Museum’s new buildings include 1,000 skylights that admit natural light to the top-level galleries of the Wieland Pavilion and Anne Cox Chambers Wing; coffered ceilings molded with glass fiber reinforced gypsum; walls 17 feet tall that accommodate over-sized artwork; white oak floors; and custom-designed light fixtures and furnishings. Painted enamel façade panels with sculpted transition elements at the roofline of the Wieland Pavilion and Anne Cox Chambers Wing complement the existing porcelain-clad steel panels of the Stent Family Wing’s exterior. The new buildings have floor-to-ceiling windows on that provide views to all directions.

A piazza centers the campus with multiple entries bringing visitors from surrounding streets. On the piazza’s south side, Athena elms pruned to form a box-like canopy shade patrons enjoying outside dining at the new Arts Center restaurant, Table 1280. Other campus plantings include crab apples, Deodar cedars, Kousa dogwoods, Sweetbay magnolias, and Yoshino cherries.

The Museum’s Grand Opening of the Wieland Pavilion and Anne Cox Chambers Wing was celebrated November 12-13, 2005. With completion of its new buildings, the High is now the Southeast’s largest art museum.

Media

9 photos and 4 drawings

Building Activity

  • ila
    ila updated
    about 3 years ago via Mobile