Heyward-Washington HouseEdit profile
Heyward-Washington House is a historic house museum in Charleston, South Carolina that is owned and operated by the Charleston Museum. Furnished for the late 18th century, the house includes a collection of Charleston-made furniture. Other structures include the carriage shed and 1740s kitchen building.
The house was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1970.
The South Carolina Department of Archives and History summary is here.History
The house is located in the downtown Historic District within the area of the original walled city. Rice planter Daniel Heyward built the house in 1772 for his son, Thomas Heyward, Jr., who became a patriot leader and was a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
In May 1791, the City of Charleston rented the house for use by George Washington during his week-long stay, and thus the house became traditionally known as the “Heyward-Washington House.”
The Charleston Museum purchased the house in 1929 and opened it as a historic house museum in 1930.