Heslington HallEdit profile
Heslington Hall is an English manor house located on the campus of the University of York, near the village of Heslington, England. Constructed in 1568 for Sir Thomas Eynns, the Secretary and Keeper of the Seal to the Council of the North; and his wife Elizabeth, the house has been rebuilt several times, once by the Victorian architect, Philip Charles Hardwick (1822–1892) and the latest major modification being in the early 20th century. The parts of the original manor house still remaining include 2 staircase towers, the courtyard and the pendant stucco ceiling over the great hall.
At the outbreak of the Second World War, the house was vacated by its then inhabitants, the Yarbrugh family, leaving it to be taken over by the Royal Air Force for the headquarters of 4 Group Bomber Command.
The hall was abandoned after the war until 1962, when Dr. Bernard Feilden supervised its conversion into the original home, and now administrative headquarters, of the University of York.
In 1955 the hall was given Grade II* listed building status.