Herzog Anton Ulrich Museum

The Herzog Anton Ulrich Museum (HAUM) is an art museum in the German city of Braunschweig, Lower Saxony.

Founded in 1754, the Herzog Anton Ulrich Museum is one of the oldest museums in Europe. It houses a collection of masters of Western art, including Cranach, Holbein, Van Dyck, Vermeer, Rubens, and Rembrandt. The museum is based on the Schloss Salzdahlum art collection of Anthony Ulrich, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg (1633-1714), after whom it is named. In period catalogs, the term Bilder-Galerie zu Salzthalen refers to this collection.

The Copperplate Cabinet, with its over 100,000 pieces of print graphics and 10,000 drawings, is of great importance. There are also rotating exhibitions of art and craftwork from all over the world.

The present museum building was opened in 1887. Its architect, Oskar Sommer, planned the building in Italian Renaissance style. Currently, the museum is closed for renovations and is scheduled to reopen in 2014.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com