Herr's Mill Covered BridgeEdit profile
Herr's Mill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans Pequea Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. It is also sometimes known as Soudersburg Bridge.
The bridge has a double span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design. It is painted red on the outside, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color.
The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-21. In 1980 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places as structure number 80003537. It is located at 40°0′35.4″N 76°9′43.8″W / 40.009833°N 76.162167°W / 40.009833; -76.162167 (40.00983, -76.16217). It is located in Paradise Township on Ronks Road 0.4 km (0.25 mi) south of U.S. Route 30 to the east of Lancaster city.History
Herr's Mill Covered Bridge was built in 1844 by Joseph Elliot and Robert Russell at a cost of $1787. It has a double-span, double-arch Burr arch truss construction. In 1875 the bridge was rebuilt by James C. Carpenter at a cost of $1860. The bridge was later bypassed by a new concrete bridge and is now on the private property of the Mill Bridge Village Camping Resort. In 2006, after plans to demolish the bridge were reported, owner Brian Kopan was quoted as saying "The bridge is in fine condition. We’re hoping to keep it as it is."Dimensions
- Length: 178 feet (54.3 m) total length
- Width: 15 feet (4.6 m) total width