Herman Strasburg HouseEdit profile
The Herman Strasburg House is located at 5415 Cass Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. It is now known as the Wayne State University Music Annex. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.History
Herman Strasburg was born in Detroit in 1860. After graduating from high school in 1876, he joined his father's dancing school, eventually managing the business.
In 1915, Strasburg and his wife Ida hired architect Marcus R. Burrowes to design the house on Cass Avenue. The Strasburg family occupied the home until 1925, although it is not clear if the house was used as a private residence or a dance studio. From 1931 to 1944, the house was used as a combined music school and a private home. In 1949, Wayne State University bought the property, using it first as the Wayne University Choral Studio and later as the Wayne State University Music Annex.Architecture
The Herman Strasburg house is one of the best examples of English Tudor architecture in Detroit. The second story is characteristically half-timbered, while the ground floor is covered in attractive brickwork.