Henry French HouseEdit profile
The Henry French House, also known as the Salmon-French House, is located in Jeffersonville, Indiana, within the Port Fulton area. It was next door to the Civil War Hospital in Port Fulton/Jeffersonville. It was built in Federal/Colonial Revival, and was added in 1989 to the National Register of Historic Places due to its architecture and place in maritime history. It is a few blocks from another house on the National Register, the Howard Steamboat Museum. Henry French (born December 19, 1812 in Philadelphia - May 4, 1878 ) was one of the first steamboat builders in the area. Between himself, his father Daniel French, and his brothers William and George, twenty steamboats were built at Port Fulton. Eventually, his business was swallowed by the larger Howard enterprise. It is a private residence, and the current occupants have renovated it in a fashion similar to its original state.