Helen Newberry Nurses HomeEdit profile
The Helen Newberry Nurses Home is a multi-unit residential building located at 100 East Willis (at the corner of Willis and John R.) in Detroit, Michigan. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.History
Detroit's Grace Hospital opened in 1888; the next year Grace Hospital Training School for Nurses was opened under the direction of Eugenie Hibbard. The first class had fourteen students. Grace Hospital Training School was one of the first training schools for nurses in the United States. By 1898, it was recognized that student nurses needed nearby housing wile attending the Training School. The Helen Newberry Nurses Home was built to house these nursing students. Funds to construct the building were donated by Helen Handy Newberry, wife of John Stoughton Newberry and mother of Truman Handy Newberry. Architect Elijah E. Myers, who also constructed the Michigan State Capitol, designed the building.