Hecht Company WarehouseEdit profile
The Hecht Company Warehouse in Washington, D.C. is a Streamline Moderne style building. Designed by engineer Gilbert V. Steel of the New York engineering firm Abbott and Merkt, and prominently located on New York Avenue, it served as the central warehouse for The Hecht Company from its construction in 1937 and expansion in 1948. The building uses glass block extensively, culminating in a twelve-pointed star-shaped cupola at the corner, which is illuminated at night. Black brick interspersed with glass block spells out "The Hecht Co" at the fifth floor.
At its opening, the building featured an in-house vehicle repair shop, air conditioning for the basement and first two floors, and three railroad track platforms.
A careful rehabilitation was carried out in 1992, using matching materials.
OpenBuildings updated a digital referenceabout 5 years ago via Annotator
OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital referenceabout 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
damee1 updated a digital referenceabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
Georgi Sokolov updatedabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com