Hearst Memorial Mining BuildingEdit profile
The Hearst Memorial Mining Building at the University of California, Berkeley is currently home to the university's materials science department. The the Classical Revival style building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is also designated as part of California Historical Landmark #946. It was the first building on that campus designed by John Galen Howard. Construction began in 1902, as part of Phoebe Hearst's master campus development plan (see architecture section of UC Berkeley) and in memory of George Hearst, who had been a successful miner. From 1998 to 2003, the building underwent a massive renovation, expansion, and seismic retrofit, in which a platform was built underneath the building, and a suspension system capable of up to 1 meter lateral travel was installed. To keep the expansion distinct from the historic building, shot peened aluminium (rather than stone) and a more modern design were used in the new construction.