Headingley StadiumEdit profile
Headingley Stadium is a sporting complex in the Leeds suburb of Headingley in West Yorkshire, England. It is the home of Yorkshire County Cricket Club, rugby league team Leeds Rhinos and rugby union team Leeds Carnegie (formerly known as Leeds Tykes).
There are two separate grounds, with a two-sided stand housing common facilities. Initially, the whole complex was owned by the Leeds Cricket, Football and Athletic Company, which is the parent company of both rugby clubs. Yorkshire County Cricket Club purchased the cricket ground on 31 December 2005 and, as announced on 11 October 2006, the whole ground is managed as one jointly between Yorkshire C.C.C. and Leeds Rugby. This type of joint cricket and football/rugby stadia were typical in 19th century England, and is how Bramall Lane and Park Avenue originally were.
Since 11 January 2006, the stadium has officially been known as the Headingley Carnegie Stadium as a result of sponsorship from Leeds Metropolitan University, whose sports faculty is known as the Carnegie School of Sport Exercise and Physical Education.
The Carnegie Floodlit Nines rugby league nines tournament was held at Headingley stadium for the first time on Wednesday August 27 2008.Headingley Carnegie Cricket Ground
Headingley Carnegie Cricket Ground (usually shortened to Headingley) adjoins the rugby stadium through a shared main stand, although the main entrance to the cricket ground is at the opposite Kirkstall Lane end. It has seen Test cricket since 1899 and has a capacity of 17,500.
Headingley Carnegie cricket ground is located at 53°49′3.58″N 1°34′55.12″W / 53.8176611°N 1.5819778°W / 53.8176611; -1.5819778.Notable sporting moments
In 1902, Yorkshire beat the touring Australians by five wickets, after dismissing them for 23 in their second innings with George Herbert Hirst and Stanley Jackson taking five wickets each.
Donald Bradman's innings of 334 in the 1930 Ashes Test included 309 runs on the first day, and he followed it in the Australians' next test at Headingley in 1934 with an innings of 304.
Spinner Hedley Verity took 10 wickets for 10 runs in 1932 for Yorkshire v Nottinghamshire, still the best bowling analysis ever in first-class cricket. Verity had also taken all ten against Warwickshire at Headingley in 1931.
In the 1948 Ashes series, Australia scored 404 for three on the last day to beat England. Arthur Morris scored 182 and Bradman scored 173 not out.
In the Third Test against New Zealand in 1965 John Edrich hit 53 fours and 5 sixes in his 310 not out. Captain M.J.K. Smith declaring before Edrich had a chance to pass Gary Sobers Test record 365 not out, and England won by an innings and 187 runs.
In the final match of the 1975 Ashes series, early on Tuesday 19 August head groundsman George Cawthray discovered that campaigners calling for the release from prison of George Davis had dug holes in the pitch and poured oil over one end of the wicket, This led to the match being abandoned and declared a draw, denying England the chance to win back the Ashes.
In the 1977 Ashes test, Geoff Boycott scored his hundredth first-class hundred.
In the 1981 Ashes series, Headingley provided the stage for one of the most dramatic comebacks in Test cricket, when England beat Australia by 18 runs. Bookmakers had quoted odds of 500-1 against an England victory after they followed on 227 runs behind and then collapsed to 135 for seven in their second innings. However Ian Botham scored 149 not out, and then Bob Willis took eight wickets for 43, to give England an eventual 18-run victory. Two members of the Australian team had taken the 500-1 odds. This was only the second time in the entire history of Test cricket that a side had followed-on and won; something which would not occur again until 2001.
In the Test of 1991, Graham Gooch scored a match-winning 154 not out, carrying his bat throughout England's second innings of 252, against the West Indies including Malcolm Marshall, Curtley Ambrose and Courtney Walsh.
In a game they had to win to stay in the 1999 Cricket World Cup, the eventual cup-winners Australia chased down South Africa's 271 for seven after being 48 for three. Steve Waugh, who had been dropped by Herschelle Gibbs as he attempted to throw the ball up in celebration, scored 120 not out.
In 2000, England dismissed the West Indies for 61 to win by an innings and in two days, with Andrew Caddick taking four wickets in an over. England won again seven years later in 2007, as Ryan Sidebottom took eight wickets for 86 in two innings as England subjected the Windies to their worst Test defeat ever, an innings and 283 runs.
In August 2001, England successfully chased 315 to beat Australia, with Mark Butcher scoring an unbeaten 173 as England won by six wickets. However in August 2009 in the 4th test of The Ashes series, Australia beat England in 2½ days by an innings and 80 runs. Australia took twenty wickets with an attack without a spin bowler. England's middle order batsmen (Ravi Bopara, Ian Bell and Paul Collingwood) scored 16 runs between them in two innings.Owning the ground
In December 2005 Yorkshire County Cricket Club obtained a loan of £9 million from Leeds City Council towards the cost of purchasing the cricket ground for £12 million. Shortly afterwards, 98.37% of members who participated in a vote backed the deal. On 11 January 2006, the club announced plans to rebuild the stand next to the rugby ground with 3,000 extra seats, taking capacity to 20,000. The club also announced plans to redevelop the Winter Shed (North) stand on 25 August 2006 providing a £12.5 million pavilion complex.Future Developments
Yorkshire County Cricket Club have shown keen interest in redeveloping the northern side of the ground. This is a major inconvenience to Leeds Rugby Limited as they wish to redevelop their North Stand, which backs onto the Cricket Ground, any redevelopment of this stand can not go ahead until Yorkshire Cricket are also willing to redevelop their side of the cricket pitch. If Headingley is to retain Test Ground Status it is likely that further improvements will need to be made to the ground. Any future development is likely to increase the capacity of the ground as well as providing new corporate and banqueting facilities. Yorkshire County Cricket Club and Leeds Metropolitan University have recently unveiled their plan for the new Headingley Carnegie Pavilion, which will replace 'The Shed' to the northern side of the Cricket Ground (which dating from the early 1970s is the oldest surviving part of the cricket ground). The new structure will be of a modernist design.
Headingley Carnegie Pavilion
The new pavilion will replace 'The Winter Shed' and 'The Media Centre' at the Kirkstall Lane end of the ground. According to Yorkshire County Cricket Club the current media centre is obsolete and does not meet the requirements of modern broadcasters. The changing facilities will also be replaced by 'state of the art' changing facilities, designed specifically for Cricket, while the executive boxes will be replaced by new facilities that will provide the modern expected level of service. Yorkshire County Cricket Clubs offices will also be relocated into the pavilion. The new pavilion will boast environmental credentials such as having a ground source heat pump and Solar hot water heating.Headingley Carnegie Stadium
Headingley's rugby stadium is located at 53°48′58.87″N 1°34′55.82″W / 53.8163528°N 1.5821722°W / 53.8163528; -1.5821722.
Leeds St. Johns, who were later to become Leeds Rugby League Football Club then Leeds Rhinos, moved to Headingley in 1889 and built Headingley stadium. Since then the stadium has staged more than 40 international matches and countless domestic finals. The ground now has a capacity of 20,500 following repairs at the end of 2008. It is the second largest stadium in Leeds after Elland Road.
Headingly hosted rugby league's first ever Challenge Cup final in 1897.
In the 1930s, major developments took place on two sides of the rugby ground. The South Stand was completed in 1931, with some of the work being carried out by club players, whilst the old wooden North Stand was burned down during a match against Halifax on 25 March 1931. By the end of 1932, a new North Stand had been completed.
The record attendance at Headingley was 40,175 for the rugby league match between Leeds and Bradford on 21 May 1947. Undersoil heating was installed in 1963 but has since been removed due to ongoing problems, and floodlights were installed in 1966. The 1970 Rugby League World Cup final between Great Britain and Australia was played at the stadium. New changing rooms were added in 1991.
In July 1998, Leeds RUFC became part of the world's first dual-code rugby partnership, Leeds Rugby Limited.
In 2001 capacity was increased marginally by extending the terracing around the corner in between the Western Terraces and the North Stand.
2006 saw the construction of the Carnegie Stand. Built to replace the old eastern terrace, it was opened on 1 September 2006 for the Super League match between Leeds Rhinos and Warrington Wolves. The building of this stand replaced the ageing executive facilities which were previously situated towards the rear of the Eastern Terraces.Facilities
The rugby stadium benefits from many facilities. The South Stand has its own bar, bookmakers and catering facilities. The media centre is situated on the roof of the South Stand. The North Stand benefits from a joint bar with the Cricket side 'The Watering Hole' as well as mobile catering facilities. The new Carnegie Stand has executive boxes, bars and a restaurant. The Western terraces house both the club scoreboard and the Sky Sports videoboard. Leeds Rhinos and Leeds Carnegie share a club shop in between the North and Carnegie Stands.Redevelopment
There is current debate over what part of the stadium is to be redeveloped next. It was the hope of Leeds Rhinos to redevelop the North Stand. However, because this was double sided it required the co-operation of Yorkshire Cricket. Yorkshire Cricket, however, showed no intention of redeveloping its side of the stand for some time, instead wanting to redevelop parts of the opposite side of the ground first. There is also limited scope for improvement as neither side of the stand can be expanded without encroaching on the other. There have since been talks about redeveloping either the South Stand or the open terraces to the west of the ground. However this would probably involve demolishing six houses and re-routing a public right of way. For the 2008 Super League Final Eliminator against Wigan Warriors, the lower half of the South Stand was closed for safety reasons and the capacity reduced. Following a safety inspection repairs to the lower half of the stand were required and a permanent reduction in capacity of the stand from 8,000 to 6,000 imposed. These repairs, however, have only been given a safety certificate for 2 years and Leeds Rugby are currently drawing up plans and arranging funding for the stand's replacement.