Hayes PlantationEdit profile
Hayes Plantation, also known as Hayes Farm, is a historic plantation near Edenton, North Carolina that belonged to Samuel Johnston (1733”“1816), who served as Governor of North Carolina from 1787 to 1789. Johnston become one of the state's first two United States Senators, serving from 1789 until 1793, and served later as a judge until retiring in 1803. Samuel Johnston died in 1816 at his home, "the Hermitage" near Williamston in Martin County, N.C. The residence currently known as Hayes was completed by his son, James C. Johnston, a year after Samuel's death. There are numerous other structures on the property, some predating the Hayes house itself. One being, the Hayes Gatehouse, which James Johnston lived in prior to the construction of the Hayes house. James C. Johnston, died a bachelor and left Hayes to his "friend and advisor" Edward Wood, of Greenfield Plantation. Mr. Wood and his family moved to Hayes and members of the Wood family live there today. It is a working farm, with numerous crops, consisting mainly of cotton, tobacco, peanuts and various grains. The modern day Wood family has hosted many functions and gatherings at the home, including the North Carolina Supreme Court and the North Carolina House of Represenatives, among many other notables. The main house, considered by architectural scholars to be "one of the South's most accomplished examples of a five-part Palladian villa," was designed by English-born architect, William Nichols, Sr., famous for his early Neoclassical-style buildings in the American South and for designing statehouses for three Southern states. Construction of the house began in 1814, but was not completed until 1817. The central block of the house is connected to its dependencies by curved hyphens. A broad belvedere crowns the roof of the central block. The plantation house is privately owned, but was designated a National Historic Landmark on November 7, 1973 and added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 26, 1974. It is located east of Edenton, half a mile past Johnston's bridge on Southside Road. In 2007, John G. Zehmer published a book on the plantation called, "Hayes: The Plantation, Its People, and Their Papers". The book consists of many historic documents, photos, and memories from various members of the Wood family and those who know it best.