Hartland Point LighthouseEdit profile
Hartland Point Lighthouse is a Grade II listed building at Hartland Point, Devon, England. The point marks the western limit (on the English side) of the Bristol Channel with the Atlantic Ocean continuing to the west. Trinity House, the lighthouse authority for England and Wales, have a lighthouse on the tip of the peninsula. Built in 1874 by Mr. Yerward of Wales under the direction of Sir James Douglass, the tower is 18 metres (59 ft) tall with the lamp being 37 metres (121 ft) above mean sea level. The light can be seen up to 25 miles (40 km) away from the coast. It is protected by a 30 metres (98 ft) long sea wall which was built in 1925 to prevent erosion of the rocks on which it stands. It was blessed by Frederick Temple, Bishop of Exeter, who later became Archbishop of Canterbury, and the light was lit for the first time by Lady Stuckley of Hartland Abbey during the opening ceremony on July 1, 1874. The tower was automated in 1984 and is now controlled from Trinity House Operations Centre at Harwich in Essex. Prior to automation the lighthouse was built with accommodation for four keepers and their families. The keepers' dwellings have since been demolished to make room for a Helipad to be constructed. This was necessary due to the precarious nature of the access road which is liable to frequent rock falls and landslips. Vehicular access is now very difficult and the gates tend to remain locked. The large concrete structures immediately to the south of the lighthouse were to provide the keepers with fresh water. In the 2010 Aids to Navigation Review, by Trinity House, they proposed to discontinue the Hartland Point Lighthouse Station on grounds that Global Positioning Systems are superseding lighthouses as the most important navigation aids.