Harmony Chapel and Cemetery

The Harmony Chapel and Cemetery (also known as "Harmony Meeting House" or "Harmony Cemetery") is a historic cemetery in Harmony, Rhode Island, a village in Glocester.

The chapel adjacent to the cemetery sits on Route 44 west of Edgewood Drive. Built as a schoolhouse in 1816, after 1825 it became a meeting house (free chapel) for villagers. Residents would occasionally hire ministers to speak and hold various Christian religious ceremonies.

The cemetery behind the chapel was used as a private cemetery by the Steere, Smith and other local families until opened for public use in 1878.

Prominent individuals buried in the cemetery
  • Arthur Steere, businessman, politician
Images
  • Dr. Patience Steere

  • Sen. Arthur Steere, Henry J. Steere, Frederick Lewis and family

  • Seth Hunt Steere

  • Hannah Steere

  • Gideon Smith

  • Lucy Bowen Smith

  • Lucy Smith Steere

  • Chico, the monkee

  • Richard Aldrich family

  • Richard Aldrich family

  • Harmony Cemetery and Chapel

  • Harmony Cemetery

References and external links
  • Friends of Harmony Village information and pictures of the chapel
  • Harmony and Glocester Historical Information
  • National register of Historic Places entry

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com