Hardy MonumentEdit profile
Coordinates: 50°41′10.09″N 2°32′56.31″W / 50.6861361°N 2.548975°W / 50.6861361; -2.548975
The Hardy Monument is a 72-foot (22 m) high monument erected by public subscription in 1844 in memory of Vice Admiral Sir Thomas Hardy, a commander at the Battle of Trafalgar (not to be confused with the author Thomas Hardy, who also has local connections).
The monument is situated on a high chalk hill overlooking the English Channel in the Blackdown area near Portesham in Dorset, England. It was restored in 1900 by his descendants and given to the National Trust in 1938.
Tourists are able to climb the monument using the steps inside, although under 16s are not permitted.