Hanover County CourthouseEdit profile
Hanover County Courthouse, built in 1735, is an historic courthouse located in Hanover Court House, Virginia. In 1763, Patrick Henry, who lived and practiced law in Hanover County, argued the case of the Parson's Cause, a case involving King George III's requirement that Virginians pay taxes to support the local Anglican ministry despite their objections and those of the House of Burgesses. Henry, representing the County, accused the King of tyranny in overturning colonial law without regard to the wishes of his subjects.
A new modern government complex with two court buildings was built and opened in 1979 adjacent to the 1735 courthouse, which is still actively used for periodic judicial proceedings to alleviate crowded court dockets and also for handling ceremonial events.
On December 30, 1970, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places and on November 7, 1973 it was designated a National Historic Landmark. It is the focal point of the Hanover County Courthouse Historic District.