The Hambly Arena, originally known as the Oshawa Arena, opened in 1930 and was built in large part to the contributions of Colonel R.S. McLaughlin. It was the first brick facade and steel support structure for ice hockey in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada. The main tenant for its existence was the Oshawa Generals. Shortly after training camp in the 1953-54 season, the arena would suffer the same demise as its predecessor, the Bradley Arena (1908-1928). The Hambly Arena burned to the ground on the morning of September 15, 1953. It was the end of an era for the Oshawa Generals who recently won three Memorial Cup Championships in 1939, 1940 & 1944, as well as seven consecutive Ontario championships from 1937”“1944. All that remained of the building was the brick facade and many steel beams twisted like pretzels. Officials of the Oshawa Fire Department estimated the loss as about $350,000.00, only partially covered by insurance. Also destroyed in the fire were the team's equipment, uniforms and many other historical artifacts. It is estimated that 200 pairs of skates were lost, valued between $45.00 and $60.00 each. The site of the arena is currently occupied by Ontario Motor Sales, at the corner of Bond Street West and Arena Street.