The Hallgrí­mskirkja ( Icelandic: "church of Hallgrí­mur") is a Lutheran ( Church of Iceland) parish church in Reykjaví­k, Iceland. At 74.5 metres (244 ft), it is the largest church in Iceland and the sixth tallest architectural structure in Iceland after Longwave radio mast Hellissandur, the radio masts of US Navy at Grindaví­k, Eiðar longwave transmitter and Smáratorg tower. The church is named after the Icelandic poet and clergyman Hallgrí­mur Pétursson (1614 to 1674), author of the Passion Hymns. State Architect Guðjón Samúelsson's design of the church was commissioned in 1937. He is said to have designed it to resemble the basalt lava flows of Iceland's landscape. It took 38 years to build the church. Construction work began in 1945 and ended in 1986, the landmark tower being completed long before the church's actual completion. The crypt beneath the choir was consecrated in 1948, the steeple and wings were completed in 1974. The nave was consecrated in 1986. Situated in the centre of Reykjaví­k, it is one of the city's best-known landmarks and is visible throughout the city. It is similar in style to the expressionist architecture of Grundtvig's Church of Copenhagen, Denmark, completed in 1926. The church houses a large pipe organ by the German organ builder Johannes Klais of Bonn. It has mechanical action, four manuals and pedal, 102 ranks, 72 stops and 5275 pipes. It is 15 metres tall and weighs 25 tons. Its construction was finished in December 1992. It has been recorded by Christopher Herrick in his Organ Fireworks VII CD. The church is also used as an observation tower. An observer can take a lift up to the viewing deck and view Reykjaví­k and the surrounding mountains. The statue of explorer Leif Ericson in front of the church predates its construction. It was a gift from the United States in honor of the 1930 Alþingi Millennial Festival, commemorating the 1000th anniversary of Iceland's parliament at Þingvellir in 930 AD. In 2008, the church underwent a major restoration of the main tower, and was covered in scaffolding. In late 2009, restoration was completed and the scaffolding was removed. Views of the Hallgrí­mskirkja The Klais organ in Hallgrí­mskirkja A window in Hallgrí­mskirkja Hallgrí­mskirkja from the side


90 photos

Building Activity

  • davegil
    davegil updated and activity.buildings_person.delete
    about 3 years ago via Mobile
  • Nadezhda Nikolova
    Nadezhda Nikolova updated 27 media, updated 4 digital references, added a digital reference, removed 2 media, uploaded 10 media and updated
    The Church of Hallgrímur
    about 4 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • Nadezhda Nikolova
    Nadezhda Nikolova updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • francisbrand
    francisbrand updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com