Hall of Clestrain

The Hall of Clestrain in the parish of Orphir, Orkney, Scotland, was built in 1769 for Patrick Honyman. It featured in the second series of the BBC TV series Restoration. It was the birthplace of the explorer John Rae and was visited by Sir Walter Scott in 1814.

It was intended that the building would form the centrepiece of a proposed Orkney Boat Museum although these plans are in doubt following an unsuccessful bid for support from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Coordinates: 58°56′51″N 3°13′19″W / 58.9475°N 3.22194°W / 58.9475; -3.22194

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com