H. Alden Smith HouseEdit profile
The H. Alden Smith House is a historic Richardsonian Romanesque house just west of downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota. It was designed in 1887 by noted local architect William Channing Whitney. Its owner was a wealthy businessman, a partner in Smith and Wyman Sash and Door Company. It was once part of a group of other mansions on Harmon Place, but the area is now primarily home to apartments, warehouses, and Metropolitan State University. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
H. Alden Smith lived in the home until 1906, when he died of a heart attack. His wife sold the home to a mortuary, and Davies Mortuary resided in the building until the 1970s. It was then used as a restaurant for about two years, then as an office building, a counseling clinic, and a location for filming of the movie Drop Dead Fred. In 1993, the Minneapolis Community College Foundation bought the building for $350,000 and raised funds to renovate the structure. It is now the Wells Family College Center within the Minneapolis Community and Technical College.