Grosvenor BridgeEdit profile
Coordinates: 51°29′05″N 0°08′51″W / 51.48472°N 0.1475°W / 51.48472; -0.1475
Grosvenor Bridge, often alternatively called Victoria Railway Bridge, is a railway bridge over the River Thames in London, between Vauxhall Bridge and Chelsea Bridge. It actually consists of two bridges, both built in the mid-19th century. The eastern side was built by the Victoria Station and Pimlico Railway, (a consortium of the London Brighton and South Coast Railway, the London, Chatham and Dover Railway, the Great Western Railway and the London and North Western Railway) in 1858 to 60 to carry trains into Victoria station; it was the first railway bridge across the Thames in central London. The western side was built by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway in 1865 to 66 to provide their own independent line to the station. The designers were Sir John Fowler and Sir Charles Fox for the two bridges respectively.
Both bridges were rebuilt in steel in 1963–67, the original piers now being encased in concrete. The designer for this work was Freeman Fox & Partners.
On the north bank is Pimlico to the north and east and Chelsea to the west; the Lister Hospital and the Royal Chelsea Hospital lie immediately to the north west. On the south bank is Nine Elms to the east and Battersea to the west. Battersea Power Station is immediately to the south of the bridge, and Battersea Park to the south west.
OpenBuildings updated 8 media and uploaded a media fileabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com