Großes Festspielhaus, SalzburgEdit profile
The Großes Festspielhaus (Great Festival Hall) was designed by the architect Clemens Holzmeister in 1956 for the Salzburg Festival in Austria. The Festspielhaus was inaugurated on 26 July 1960 with a performance of Richard Strauss' Der Rosenkavalier conducted by Herbert von Karajan.
It is one of the largest stages in the world being one hundred metres wide (300+ feet) and the auditorium itself is square, seating 2,179 people. Public access is through five bronze doors, the facade of which bears a Latin motto by Thomas Michels: The Muse's holy house is open to those moved by song / divine power bears us up who are inspired.