Greens Ledge LightEdit profile
Greens Ledge Lighthouse is a sparkplug lighthouse in Connecticut, United States, off the southwest end of the Norwalk Islands, Long Island Sound, near Norwalk, Connecticut. It is on north side of the west end of Greens Ledge, west of Norwalk Harbor a mile south of the entrance to Five Mile River at Rowayton, and just over a mile southwest of Sheffield Lighthouse.
When it was built in 1902, the " sparkplug" style lighthouse replaced the Sheffield Island Light. At first it had a fifth order Fresnel lens. Three months after it was first lit, it was upgraded to a fourth order Fresnel lens. The 52-foot (16 m) tower developed a tilt over time and the keepers also complained the station’s generators caused the furniture to move to one side of the tower. They solved the problem by keeping all the furniture on one side. The light was automated by the United States Coast Guard in 1972. The light is an active aid to navigation and is not open to the public. Since 1935, swimmers have been competing annually in the Arthur J. Ladrigan Swim Race, a one-mile (1.6 km) race from the lighthouse to Bayley Beach in the Rowayton section of Norwalk. The light was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Greens Ledge Lighthouse on May 29, 1990, reference number 89001468.