Great Synagogue, SydneyEdit profile
The Great Synagogue is a large synagogue in Sydney, Australia. It is located in Elizabeth Street opposite Hyde Park and extends back to Castlereagh Street.Description and history
The Great Synagogue was designed by architect Thomas Rowe (who was not Jewish), and consecrated in 1878. It combines elements of Byzantine style and Gothic characteristics. This grand building is often described as the "cathedral synagogue" of Australia.
The Sydney Jewish community, which dated to the earliest days of the colony, met in rented spaces before building its first synagogue, designed by James Hume in 1844.
The present synagogue has the traditional feature of an elevated ladies' gallery. When first erected, the bimah was central, as is traditional. However, to increase seating capacity the bimah was moved forward to the western wall in 1906.
Over the years, extensive additions and alterations have been made to the other facilities appurtenant to this building, including the construction of a succah, excavation and construction of a large reception area below the synagogue itself, construction of the Rabbi Falk Memorial Library, installation of electricity in the chandeliers, and installation of a "shabbat" elevator.
A useful overview of the synagogue's history is provided by the recent book edited by Rabbi Raymond Apple
The building is listed on the Register of the National Estate.