Great Synagogue, Bucharest

The Great Synagogue was raised in 1845 by the Polish-Jewish community. It was repaired in 1865, redesigned in 1903 and 1909, repainted in Rococo style in 1936 by Ghershon Horowitz, then it was restored again in 1945, as it had been devastated by the extreme right Legionaries. It nowadays hosts an exhibition entitled <<the Memorial of Jewish Martyrs “Chief Rabbi Dr. Mozes Rosen”>>. During the late 1980s, just like many churches in the area, this synagogue was virtually surrounded by concrete buildings, so as to hide it from public sight. Coordinates: 44°25′46″N 26°06′31″E / 44.42952°N 26.10861°E / 44.42952; 26.10861

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • Radil Radenkov
    Radil Radenkov updated
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com