Great Platte River Road Archway MonumentEdit profile
The Great Platte River Road Archway Monument is a museum of and monument to Nebraska's and the Platte River valley's role in westward expansion. The Archway Monument is directly over Interstate 80 three miles (5 km) east of Kearney, Nebraska.History
A monument and tourist attraction highlighting the Platte River valley was a goal of former Governor Frank B. Morrison. In 2000, the Archway Monument opened to the public; however, overly optimistic visitor projections forced the monument to cut expenses and refinance its bond payments. A shift of focus to educational and group tours has given the monument a more stable financial footing.Features
- The lobby escalator is the longest in the state of Nebraska.
- 360 ft (110 m). of fiber optics is utilized in the entry movie.
- 24 life-size cast figures appear in the show.
- Faces on the cast figures were cast from real people.
- Total of 89,000 blades of grass appear throughout the show.
- An authentic 1914 Ford Model T is featured in the Lincoln Highway scene.
- An authentic 1927 Oldsmobile is showcased in the Lincoln Highway scene.
- An authentic 1961 Cadillac convertible is showcased in the drive-in theater scene.
- The Archway Monument is featured in the movie About Schmidt.
- This wagon shows the size and contents of the typical Conestoga Wagon on the Oregon Trail.