Great North Western HotelEdit profile
Coordinates: 53°24′30″N 2°58′44″W / 53.40827°N 2.97881°W / 53.40827; -2.97881
The former Great North Western Hotel is on the east side of Lime Street, Liverpool, England. It has been designated by English Heritage a a Grade II listed building.
The hotel was built in in 1879 as a railway hotel by the London and North Western Railway to serve Lime Street Station. It was designed by Alfred Waterhouse, and contained 330 rooms. The hotel closed in 1933 and remained empty and unused for over 60 years. In 1994 it was bought by John Moores University and, at a cost of £6 million, was converted into a hall of residence for students, which opened in 1996.
The building is constructed in stone with a slate roof in French Renaissance style. It has five storeys, a basement and an attic, and is in 21 bays. The end bays and the bays flanking the three-bay centre are carried up into towers. The central entrance is round-arched, and is flanked by Doric columns.