Grand Canyon North Rim HeadquartersEdit profile
The Grand Canyon North Rim Headquarters is a historic district in Grand Canyon National Park. The district includes examples of National Park Service Rustic architecture as applied to employee residences, administrative facilities and service structures.
The North Rim experienced very little development until 1926, when the first "permanent" Park Service structures were constructed. These first structures included the Ranger Residence and the accompanying wood shed and horse barn. Additional structures were added during the late 1920s and 1930s, including various equipment storage areas, warehouses, and residences. The last structure to be constructed as part of the North Rim Headquarters was an equipment shed in 1936. Over the years, the use of these buildings has changed considerably, however, in most instances, these changes do not affect the exterior of the structure. The most significant architectural qualities are limited to the exterior facades, the fireplace in Residence No. 102, and to the wrought iron door hinges on several of the maintenance buildings.