Grand Army of the Republic Hall

Edit profile
Grand Army of the Republic Hall

The Grand Army of the Republic Hall is an historic building located at 34 School Street in Rockland, Massachusetts, in the United States. The hall was built in 1899 by members of the GAR as a memorial to the Union Army veterans of the Civil War. It was one of many such halls built in the country. On May 16, 1997, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.

National Register listing
  • Grand Army of the Republic Hall (added 1997 - Building - #97000438)
  • Also known as Hartsuff, Gen. George L., Post No. 74
  • 34 School St., Rockland
  • Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
  • Architect, builder, or engineer: Hebberd, William Harrison
  • Architectural Style: Queen Anne
  • Area of Significance: Social History, Architecture
  • Period of Significance: 1875-1899, 1900–1924, 1925–1949
  • Owner: Private
  • Historic Function: Social
  • Historic Sub-function: Meeting Hall
  • Current Function: Social
  • Current Sub-function: Meeting Hall
Meetings

The hall was the meeting place of the Gen. George L. Hartsuff GAR Post No. 74, which was one of 210 post in the Department of Massachusetts. It is now the meeting place of the Gen. George L. Hartsuff Camp No. 50 of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, the successor organization to the Grand Army of the Republic.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com