Government House, Wellington
Government House in Newtown, Wellington, New Zealand is the principal residence of the Governor-General of New Zealand. It was designed by Claude Paton in the office of John Campbell, Government Architect. Built between 1908 and 1910, the house's grounds total 12 ha, and the house is 4200 m². There are 27 bedrooms and 19 bathrooms in total including staff quarters as well as a ballroom, various sitting rooms, state rooms, service rooms and wing offices, all of which are tended to by about 30 staff. The grounds, which have been endorsed as a 'garden of National Significance' covers some 12ha and includes a policemans lodge a the main gate. Other outdoor facilities include a Tennis court, and pavilion, swimming pool, bomb-shelter, squash court, and eight external cottages. Located at 1 Rugby Street at the southern end of the Basin Reserve, it counts amongst its neighbours a hospital ( Wellington Hospital) and a high school ( Wellington College). The main Rugby Street entrance has a guard house and a large flag-pole, from which the Flag of New Zealand flies. When the Governor-General is in the residence his flag flies from the flagpole on the top of Government House. The upkeep of the house is the responsibility of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. As such, supply and maintenance for the Governor-General's office falls within Prime Minister's department.

Refurbishment and centenary
The House closed in October 2008 for a major conservation project and is not due to reopen until the latter half of 2011. When in residence in Wellington, the Governor-General lives at Vogel House in Lower Hutt because of the project. In 2010 the House celebrated its 100th anniversary.