Goodall Wooten House
The Goodall Wooten House is a historic home built in 1898-1900 in Austin, Texas, USA. It was built by local doctor and benefactor Goodall H. Wooten and his wife Ella and was noted for its Classical Revival architecture and lush gardens. The building has served many purposes since passing out of the Wooten family in 1944, such as a student residence hall, a chemical dependency treatment center, and currently, a luxury hotel called "The Mansion at Judges' Hill." The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 3, 1975.

History
The couple had begun planning the house in 1897, when they were married, and on July 20, 1898 Dr. Wooten and his wife purchased the land where the house would sit from Wooten's father, Dr. Thomas D. Wooten. They lived with Wooten's father while the house was being built and their daughter Lucie was born in her grandfather's home. Construction was completed on January 20, 1900 and the family moved in. The house has three stories and a basement. The basement had servant sleeping quarters, a game room and storage. The first floor boasted an impressive entry foyer, sitting room, music room, dining room and kitchen. The second floor had four bedrooms, another sitting room, a bathroom and a room for Wooten's extensive gun collection. There was room in the attic for more storage. In 1910, the house underwent a major renovation and went from a large house to a mansion. The west end of the house was expanded and the lower sitting room was merged into a new library and another bedroom was added. The plain hip roof was replaced and received new dormers. Ella hired Neiman-Marcus to redecorate the interior. It was the first house in Austin the Dallas-based company worked on. Goodhall Wooten died on January 30, 1942 and Ella became the sole owner of the house. Ella sold the house on June 24, 1944. On October 20, 1953, the property was sold to Christian Faith and Life Community, who operated the house until 1972 as a student residence hall years. The house was referred to as Lads House, Wooten House, Wooten Dormitory and Wooten Hall. The building remained a student residence until 1979 under another operator. The mansion changed purposes on November 15, 1979 when James and Delois Coker bought it and opened the Chemical Dependency Treatment Center of Austin. It served as a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center for twenty years, although the name changed to the Faulkner Parkside Lodge of Austin and then the Austin Recovery Center. Since 2003, the house has been used under the name "The Mansion at Judges' Hill," although technically the structure does not sit in the old Judge's Hill neighborhood. The original address of the house was 700 Magnolia Street. Magnolia Street was renamed 19th Street and then Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. The address of the house was reassigned to the cross street Rio Grande (originally called San Bernard) and the current address is listed as 1900 Rio Grande.

Texas Historical Commission Marker Text
Goodall Harrison Wooten (1869”“1942) was born in Paris, Texas, the son of Confederate veteran Dr. Thomas Dudley Wooten and his wife, Henrietta Goodall Wooten. Goodall Harrison Wooten attended the University of Texas, were he earned a Bachelor's and Master's degrees; and Columbia University, where he received a medical degree in 1895. He established a medical practice in Austin, and in 1897, married Ella Newsome (1878”“1972). Construction of this house began in 1898 and was completed in January 1900. Designed by Dallas architect Charles O'Connell, it soon became an Austin landmark and was known for the extensive gardens planted by Ella Wooten. Renovations in 1910 changed the simple house into a grand Classical Revival mansion, and it remains one of the premier examples of that style in Austin. Prominent features of Goodall Wooten house include its handsome brick and stonework, wraparound gallery, balustrade, and massive two-story paired columns with ionic capitals. It is typical of the large-scale homes built in this neighborhood at the turn of the century. The house remained in the Wooten family until 1944. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1990.

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com