Golda Meir School
The Golda Meir School (originally Fourth Street School) for gifted and talented students is a Milwaukee Public Schools district elementary school in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It was renamed in honor of Golda Meir, the fourth Prime Minister of Israel, who attended the institution from 1906 to 1912. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated a National Historic Landmark.

Description
Situated next to the historic Schlitz Brewing Complex of the same era, the Fourth Street School was designed in 1889 by noted Milwaukee architect Henry C. Koch in Romanesque Revival style. It was completed by 1890 and opened its doors on September 2, 1890. H-shaped in plan, the school has four stories (basement included) and contains 16 classrooms along with an auditorium. A single story heating plant was added in 1915, with a fuel room to follow in 1937. Fire escapes and enclosure of the stairways brought the building up to code in 1957. Renovation of the interior and exterior took place in 1976, during which a cafeteria was added. The facility should not be confused with the neighboring Milwaukee Education Center middle school, currently housed in the Malt House of the rehabilitated Schlitz Complex. Golda Meir has actually added a middle school to their building, which is located on the first floor of the building. There are 90 students in the 3rd grade, 4th grade, and 5th grade at this school. Since the school only has room for 30 children in each middle school grade, the teachers select which children move on to Golda Meir middle school. The school is pondering whether they can fit three more middle school classes into the building, but they all know they can't. Golda Meir School, as it was renamed on May 4, 1979, is one of the city's original magnet schools. The Gifted and Talented Program was implemented in the 1970s to further stimulate and develop the abilities of talented pupils. A two block long mural on the playground retaining wall was started in 1979 by students. Titled "Milwaukee Illustrated" it celebrated the city's history until removed in 1998 to make way for a new theme, "Golda's Gallery: The Decades on Display." In commemoration of the events of September 11, 2001, a "Labyrinth of Peace" was drawn on to the school playground. The single circuit labyrinth is used as a tool for students to reflect on what peace means to them.

Retrospective
Golda Meir recounts in her book My Life that she "learned a lot more than fractions or how to spell at Fourth Street School..." When she was in fourth grade, Meir undertook her first public works project by organizing a fundraiser to pay for her classmates' textbooks. She rented a hall and scheduled a public meeting for the event. A plaque mounted outside the front door of the school reads in part "it was here that she learned the values that carried her through life." On October 3, 1969 Golda Meir revisited the school, accompanied by U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger and local Aldermen Vel Phillips and Orville Pitts. The school has since been named in her honor in 1979. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1990.

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com