Godinton House
Godinton House is one of the most important houses in the Kentish parish of Great Chart. It is 2 miles north-west of the center of the town of Ashford, Kent, UK..

Description
Godinton House (a.k.a. "Godinton House and Gardens", a.k.a. "Godinton Park") is an ancient brick house with a Jacobean architecture style exterior. The roof has a distinctive system of shaped gables (also called Dutch or semi-classical gables). The Jacobean house was built around a medieval great hall. Of particular note is the elaborate carvings in chestnut wood on the main staircase. The gardens include one of the longest Yew hedges in England. The house also has a Steinway piano, which is one of the best pianos in Kent.

History
Godinton House was the seat of the Toke family for about 455 years from 1440 to 1895 1. Around the turn of the century (1800/1900) then owner Mr. Ashley Dodd hired architect Sir Reginald Blomfield to update the house and redesign the gardens. Blomfield planted the famous yew hedge, shaped to repeat the gable form seen on the house. In 1991 Major Alan Wyndham-Green, the last owner of Godinton, established the "Godinton House Preservation Trust". Since Major Wyndham-Green's passing in 1996 the Trust has continued to preserve, restore, and enhance the house and parklands.