Glasgow University Library
The University of Glasgow Library is one of the oldest and largest University libraries in Europe. It holds more than 2.5 million books and journals, as well as providing access to an extensive range of electronic resources including over 30,000 electronic journals.

The first explicit mention of the Library is dated November 1475, when the first donations by the University's Chancellor, Bishop John Laing, were recorded. The Library grew steadily throughout the 18th century due largely to the fact that it was granted legal deposit status between 1709-1836. Legal deposit ceased in 1836 and the Library was granted an annual lump sum which allowed it to develop its collections in line with the University's teaching and research interests. The library of the royal physician to Queen Charlotte, William Hunter, received in 1807, comprised some 10,000 volumes that augmented the library's holdings by fifty percent, and extended their reach well beyond the contemporary curriculum; of Hunter's 650 manuscript codices, over a hundred are illuminated, and his incunabula "accorded Glasgow a prominence that it could not have achieved with its own resources". By 1888 the holdings of the Library had risen to around 126,000 volumes, due in part to large donations and contributions by wealthy private collectors, such as William Hunter, John Smith of Crutherland, George Walker-Arnott, William Euing and David Murray. From 1870 until 1968, the University Library was housed within the main Gilbert Scott Building. The old Library closed in July 1968 and the new building opened to readers on 30 September 1968.

Current building
Designed by William Whitfield, the present 12-storey library was constructed in 1968, and extended in the 1980s and 1990s. It formed the centrepiece of the new campus buildings built across Hillhead during the 1960s. It is clad in Precast concrete flint aggregate panels. The main library floors are stacked in a central core with the peripheral towers containing services. The cluster of towers are reminiscent of San Gimignano, and form part of a complex that also incorporates the Hunterian Art Gallery. The original building has been extensively refurbished to facilitate a modern information technology environment. The library has collections ranging from astronomy to zoology, as well as a world-class Special Collections department. Special Collections on level 12 has an internationally significant collection of manuscripts and printed works. In the foyer there is a display area featuring changing exhibitions of rare material from their collections. In 1993 the Glasgow University Library complex was selected by the international conservation organisation DoCoMoMo as one of sixty key Scottish monuments of the post-war era. Open 361 days of the year, the library provides a resource not only for the academic community in Glasgow, but also for scholars worldwide. There are study spaces for more than 2500 students, with over 800 computers. Wi-fi access is available throughout the building. A new cafe and social learning space was opened in 2009. The library is the only European Documentation Centre (EDC) in the west of Scotland, and one of the largest in the UK. The EDC is part of the Maps, Official Publications and Statistics Unit on Level 7. Other notable collections include music scores, Russian and East European material and significant 18th and 19th century print books and journals at the Library Research Annexe. Specialist collections for veterinary medicine, dentistry and chemistry are held in separate branch libraries around campus. Additionally, the Adam Smith library holds undergraduate social science materials. The library staff comprises a team of over two hundred daytime, evening and weekend staff. The University Librarian is Helen Durndell.