Glasgow Bridge, GlasgowEdit profile
The Glasgow Bridge spans the River Clyde in Glasgow. It is at the bottom of Jamaica Street, near Central Station, and is colloquially known as the Jamaica Bridge. Completed in 1772, it was designed by William Mylne and built by John Smeaton. Its seven arch structure was honoured by Thomas Telford, who replaced it in 1833 with a design built by John Gibb & Son for £34,000. It became the first in Glasgow to be lit by electricity. Between 1895 and 1899 it was replaced with the current wider bridge which incorporated Telford's stonework and expanded the arches to accommodate larger ships.
The Glasgow bridge was also the name of a proposed bridge. Designed by the Richard Rogers Partnership, it was to be a curved, ramped deck bridge, using a cable stayed compression arch to provide an additional route from Broomielaw to Tradeston. However, late in 2006 funding was withdrawn for this project.