Glamorgan BuildingEdit profile
The Glamorgan Building is situated in Cardiff's prestigious civic centre in Cathays Park, on King Edward VII Avenue. Formerly the county hall of Glamorgan, the building was acquired by Cardiff University in 1997 and is now home to the School of Social Sciences and the School of City and Regional Planning. The Glamorgan Building is one of the most architecturally-distinguished buildings in the University's care. It was designed by Vincent Harris OBE (1876”“1971) and Thomas Anderson Moodie (1874”“1948), who won the design competition for the building in 1909. The project was completed in 1911 and the building was opened in 1912. Outside the building, serving as reminders of the county's source of wealth, are two groups of statues by Albert H. Hodge (1875-1918), one representing navigation and the other coal mining. Due to the Local Government Act 1929, which transferred more powers to local authorities, a large extension was built to the rear of the University of Wales Registry to a design by Ivor Jones and Percy Thomas. This opened in 1932. The building housed Glamorgan County Council until 1974 and Mid Glamorgan County Council from 1974 to 1996, and houses the former Council Chamber and Committee Rooms. It was also home to the Glamorgan Record Office from 1939 until the end of 2009, when it relocated to a new, purpose-built office in Leckwith next to the Cardiff City football stadium, becoming Glamorgan Archives. Between 1974 and 1996, Cardiff was additionally the administrative headquarters for South Glamorgan County Council, but this authority had its own purpose-built county hall in Atlantic Wharf in Cardiff Bay, built in 1986/7. This was the first major public building that had been built in the Bay after the proposed creation of the Cardiff Bay Development Corporation.