Gewandhaus LeipzigEdit profile
Gewandhaus is a concert hall in Leipzig, Germany. Today's hall is the third to bear this name; like the second, it is noted for its fine acoustics. The first Gewandhaus was built in 1781 by architect Johann Carl Friedrich Dauthe. The second opened on 11 December 1884, and was destroyed in the fire-bombings of World War II between 1943 and 1944. The third Gewandhaus on Augustusplatz opened on 8 October 1981. It is currently the home of the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra.