Georgetown LightEdit profile
Georgetown Light on North Island at the entrance to Winyah Bay southeast of Georgetown, South Carolina, is an active light. The light is maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard, and the lighthouse is now under the control of State of South Carolina as part of the Tom Yawkey Wildlife Center Heritage Preserve.
The original lighthouse was a 72 ft (22 m) cypress tower. It was destroyed by a storm in 1806. In 1812, an 87 ft (26.5 m) tower was built. In 1857, a fourth-order Fresnel lens was installed. It was rebuilt in 1867 after the Civil War.
The light was automated in 1986. Its current characteristic is a white light with a 3 s flash, 2 s off, 3 s flash, and 7 s off. The focal plane is 85 ft (25.9 m) above mean sea level.
The lighthouse is on the National Register of Historic Places, #74001859. The South Carolina Department of Archives and History has additional pictures and information and a copy of the nomination form for Georgetown Lighthouse.