George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural CenterEdit profile
The George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center is a museum in east Austin, Texas housed in the former George Washington Carver Library building.
The small, wood-frame building was constructed in 1926 on the corner of Ninth and Guadalupe Streets. When it was replaced by a larger stone structure in 1933, the building was moved to the east side of town, on Angelina Street, to serve the African-American Community. It was known for many years as the "Colored Branch." In 1947, the building was renamed the George Washington Carver Library in honor of the famous inventor and scientist.
The library served African-Americans and others in the community until 1979, when a new, modern library building was completed next door. At that time work began to convert the building to a cultural center. The museum opened on October 24, 1980 and was expanded with a new facility in 2001.
The original colonial revival style building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.