George W. Loomer HouseEdit profile
The George W. Loomer House is a private residence located at 71 W. Hancock Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.History
This Richardsonian Romanesque structure was designed by architect Almon C. Varney in 1888 for George W. Loomer. The building originally had an insured value of $4,300, a sizeable sum in 1888. It has been converted from a single-family home to apartments, but the exterior has not been changed.Architecture
The exterior of this home has a two-story turret with a conical roof and an arched porch. The massive stone basement lifts the house a full meter in to the air. The home is directly adjacent to the Mulford T. Hunter House; the two are the only remaining buildings from the 19th century in what was at the time one of Detroit's most fashionable areas.