George IV Bridge is an elevated street in Edinburgh, Scotland. Measuring 300-metres in length, the bridge was constructed between 1829 and 1832 as part of the Improvement Act of 1827. Named for King George IV, it was designed by architect Thomas Hamilton (1784 - 1858), to connect the South Side district of Edinburgh to the district of New Town. Two of Edinburgh Old Town's traditional streets, Old Bank Close and Liberton's Wynd, had to be demolished for the construction of the bridge.

At the north end of the street is the newly constructed Hotel Missoni and the Lothian Chambers, which houses the Registrar of Births and Deaths. Neighbouring these are the National Library of Scotland and the Edinburgh Central Library which was constructed with money provided by the Scottish-born philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie. Around the middle are a host of bars and restaurants and takeouts, as well as the ESL institute Wallace College. At the southern end is a popular statue of Greyfriars Bobby. The road continues south becoming Bristo Place, where the Edinburgh Congregational Church was once sited, later becoming the modern Forest Café. Bedlam Theatre sits at the meeting point of these two roads. Cowgate runs beneath the bridge, and Chambers Street and the Royal Mile both intersect it.

Sights of George IV Bridge
  • National Library of Scotland

  • The Elephant House, supposed site of the writing of Harry Potter

  • Augustine United Church

  • A statue of Greyfriars Bobby, popular with tourists

  • Greyfriars Bobby Bar

  • Greyfriars Kirk

  • Museum of Scotland

  • Bedlam Theatre

Coordinates: 55°56′51″N 3°11′29″W / 55.9475°N 3.19139°W / 55.9475; -3.19139

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com