General Rufus Putnam HouseEdit profile
The General Rufus Putnam House (also Bliss-Murray-Putnam House) is a National Historic Landmark at 344 Main Street in Rutland, Worcester County, Massachusetts, USA.
The house was built between 1760-65 by John Murray. a Scotch-Irish immigrant. Murray became a Mandamus Councillor, who enforced the tax laws and was only responsible to the governor and king. On 24 August 1774, an angry mob forced him to flee his home. He escaped to Boston, later New Brunswick, and never returned. Murray's daughter had married Daniel Bliss, who became Tories were living in the house. During the American Revolutionary War, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts confiscated the property.
On 24 May 1781, General Rufus Putnam purchased the property from the government for 993 pounds and lived there until 1788. He left to settle the Northwest Territories as a leader of the Ohio Company of Associates. There he helped found Marietta, Ohio and built a new home, also NRHP listed.
The Rutland home was added to the National Historic Register in 1972. The home is currently operated as a Bed and Breakfast.