General Post Office Building, ShanghaiEdit profile
The General Post Office Building is a landmark four story building located at the north end of the Sichuan Road Bridge, Shanghai, China on the banks of the Suzhou Creek. In the early years of the Republic of China (ROC), founded in 1911, Shanghai was the center of China's postal network. In 1914, China joined the Universal Postal Union, and Shanghai was designated as the exchange for international mail. By the early 1920s, the previous premises of the postal administration was no longer adequate, and land was acquired on the north bank of Suzhou Creek for the construction of a new headquarters building. The building was situated within the Shanghai International Settlement, mid-way between the central business district and the Shanghai North Railway Station. Built from 1922 to 1924 and designed by Stewardson & Spence, the building is in Classical style. Its two main facades use three-story high grand order Corinthian columns. The main door is on the corner, and is topped by a Baroque style clock tower. The sides of the clocktower are decorated with three statuary groups. The central group features Hermes, flanked by Eros and Aphrodite, the god and goddess of love. On the second level is the 1200 square meter main trading hall, which was known as the "First Hall of the Far East". After the Chinese civil war the building continued to house the headquarters of Shanghai's postal administration. In 2003 the building began a conversion into the Shanghai Postal Museum. It is protected as a National Artefact Preservation Unit.