General Motors Technical CenterEdit profile
The GM Technical Center is a General Motors facility in Warren, Michigan. The campus is home to 16,000 GM engineers, designers, and technicians and has been the center of the company's engineering effort since its inauguration in 1956.
The "Tech Center" was designed by architect Eero Saarinen, with construction beginning in 1949. The campus was completed in 1955 and ceremonially opened by President Dwight D. Eisenhower on May 16, 1956. The facility cost the company approximately US$100,000,000 at the time. The American Institute of Architects honored it in 1986 as the most outstanding architectural project of its era.
The Tech Center sprawls across 330 acres (1.3 km2) of land and includes 11 miles (18 km) of roads and 1.1 miles (1.8 km) of tunnels. It includes 25 main buildings and numerous additional structures including a water tower and 22-acre (89,000 m2) lake.
Main Tech Center areas:
- Research & Development ( 42°30′55″N 83°02′36″W / 42.5152°N 83.0432°W / 42.5152; -83.0432 ("GM Research And Development") )
- The Metallurgy Building
- The Administration Building and exhibition hall
- Design Center ( 42°30′34″N 83°02′31″W / 42.5095°N 83.0419°W / 42.5095; -83.0419 ("GM Design Center") )
- The Lake
- Engineering Buildings
- The Central Cafeteria ( 42°30′43″N 83°02′20″W / 42.5120°N 83.0389°W / 42.5120; -83.0389 ("GM Central Cafeteria") )
- Manufacturing Centers
- Manufacturing A Building
- Manufacturing B Building
People affiliated with the site include Larry Burns, vice president of R&D and strategic planning, and Alan Taub, executive director of R&D.