Geelong Art Gallery
The Geelong Art Gallery is a major regional gallery in the city of Geelong in Victoria, Australia. The gallery has approximately 4,000 works of art in its collection. The gallery forms Geelong's Arts Precinct with the adjacent Geelong Performing Arts Centre, Geelong Heritage Centre, Geelong Courthouse centre, and the Geelong Library.

Formation
An art gallery for Geelong was first petitioned for in 1895 by members of the Geelong Progress League. In May 1900 permission was given for the Geelong Art Gallery Association to use three walls in the Geelong Town Hall to hang artwork on. Among the first acquisitions made was Frederick McCubbin's 1890 A Bush Burial which cost 100 guineas ($210 USD) at the time. The gallery was soon moved to the Free Library Building in Moorabool Street (between Malop and Corio Streets).

Permanent Home
The current Geelong Gallery was officially opened in 1915, and was erected as a memorial to the late George M. Hitchcock. It was located beside Johnstone Park between the Town Hall and the former fire station (now the Geelong Regional Library). The initial building consisted of a portico and vestibule facing the park, and the G. M. Hitchcock Gallery. The first additions to the gallery occurred in 1928 when the Henry P. Douglas Gallery was opened, followed by the H.F. Richardson Gallery in 1937. The main entrance to the gallery became Little Malop Street with the opening of the J.H. McPhillimy Gallery by then-Prime Minister Joseph Lyons in 1938. Further expansion followed in 1956 and 1971.

Notable works
There are a number of notable artworks in the galleries collection:
  • Eugene von Guerard's 1856 View of Geelong.
  • Frederick McCubbin's 1890 A Bush Burial .


Official Site
  • http://www.geelonggallery.org.au