Galerie de Minéralogie et de Géologie

Edit profile
Galerie de Minéralogie et de Géologie

The Galerie de Minéralogie et de Géologie is a part of the Muséum national d'histoire naturelle in Paris. It is found in the Jardin des Plantes. The gallery displays a collection of crystals gemstones and minerals “parmi les plus anciennes et les plus prestigieuses du monde” (amongst the best in the world).

The collection began in 1625, when minerals with medicinal properties were deposited in "le droguier du jardin royal des plantes médicinales"". Thereafter, the collection was enriched on the orders of Louis XIV and it has been on public display since 1745. There are approximately 600 000 specimens.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com