Gaithersburg B & O Railroad Station and Freight ShedEdit profile
Gaithersburg is a historic passenger rail station on the MARC Brunswick Line between Washington, D.C. and Martinsburg, WV (with a branch to Frederick, MD). It is located on 5 South Summit Avenue and East Diamond Avenue in Gaithersburg, Montgomery County, Maryland.
The station was originally built as the Gaithersburg B & O Railroad Station and Freight Shed in 1884, for the Metropolitan Branch of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O), The station was most likely designed by Ephraim Francis Baldwin, and consists of two historic buildings. The passenger station is a one-story common-bond brick structure with a gable roof. About 90 feet to the east of the station is the freight shed or loading dock, a brick structure about 45 ft x 20 ft. Its north and south facades are divided into six panels with a door in the second and fifth bays on both sides. The station was extended to the east in 1905. When Amtrak was established in 1971, B&O Passenger service was replaced by the Potomac Special, which itself was replaced by the Blue Ridge in 1973. From 1976 to 1981 it also served another Amtrak train called the Shenandoah. During that time, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, and continued to serve Amtrak until 1986, when it was converted into a MARC station with the establishment of the Brunswick Line. A modern parking garage and pedestrian overpass can be found on the opposite side of South Summit Avenue.